Thursday, October 28, 2010

Papers: Owen's end game?

Owen could hang up his boots
Michael Owen
may quit football if Manchester United release him at the end of this season. Owen, 30, is in the final season of a two-year deal and there have been no talks with boss Alex Ferguson about a possible extension. He said: "I would honestly love to stay but you will have to ask the manager about the long term. I could score at this level for many years and would love it to be at a top club like United. Whether I would want to be dropping down to a poorer Premier League team, I don't know. Yes I could score goals but I would probably get less opportunities and less enjoyment. I just don't feel my game is suited to a team that is really struggling. I won't drop down leagues."
Neil Custis, The Sun
The word 'quit' is, in fact, associated with two United strikers in The Sun - the other being Javier Hernandez. The paper takes quotes from our feature on Chicharito's rise, in which his father Javier senior says: "He doubted himself. He doubted he was capable of playing in the First Division."

Other quotes from Michael Owen - following a personal appearance for BT - include an update on his fitness. The Reds' number seven was shaping to face Wolves in the Carling Cup but says he "had a setback in training" with "a different muscle injury and some damage to my hamstring." Owen expects to be out for a few weeks. (Mirror)
If that makes Owen doubtful for the Manchester derby on 10 November, he's not the only one... City's former Reds striker Carlos Tevez has reportedly flown home to Argentina to "rehab a leg injury." (Mirror)

No comments:

Post a Comment